Thursday, April 27, 2023

FINAL POST: My Relationship With Technology and How It Has Helped Improve Physical and Mental Health

     For our final blog post, we were tasked with associating technology with our daily lives. How has it helped us? What implementations of it have benefitted us the most? I feel that technology has benefitted health overall due to the massive increase in technology-related health devices such as red light saunas, cryogenic freezing chambers, FMRI's, and regular old medications! 

    As a person functioning daily with anxiety and other health, technology has greatly benefitted me and the improvement of physical mental health. Technology has brought us advanced imaging techniques, like an FMRI (Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging) and can help us understand what parts of the brain are affected by anxiety and other mental health and health disordersAdvanced genetic testing can help us figure out what is truly wrong with a patient, as well as help prescribe the appropriate medications. Not to mention, the invention of Telemedicine, which allows for you to be in contact your health professional online. Whether you are minutes away or in a different country,  Telemedicine can help you get your required medications in a valid legal way. For example, though I am at school in North Carolina, Telemedicine allows me to speak to my doctors from 450 miles away and get the medications required. Advances in drug delivery technology also allow for more precise dosages of medications. For example, extended-release medications such as adderall or vyvanse, allow for a steady release over time, which reduces side effects and improves the overall performance of the medication. 

    My digital footprint is quite small, as when you look up my name many other "Owen Godfrey's" show up, none of which are me. My LinkedIn appears, which is good from a business standpoint, however when it comes to revealing personal information about myself, you will not find it online. I feel that overall, technology has had its fair share of negatives, however the possibilities because of it are endless. We are on the brink of discovering new diseases, new medications, and new ways of treatment, all because of technology. Though I have several social media accounts on different popular platforms, I do not have much of an online presence. I do not post much, as I feel social media is just a vessel for posting funny stuff. Anything serious does not require an Instagram post, just a genuine in-person conversation. 

     

Overall, technology is both good and bad for us. We all see the benefits, as new medications and treatments are available every day. Because there is so much bad, we forget to see the good as it is life changing for so many people. Though A.I. and things as such are creeping up on us and seemingly taking over our world, we need to see the good as advancements  for health have come so far. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post 10: Age of AI

     In class today, we watched a PBS documentary titled In the Age of A.I. , in which we were walked through all the ins and outs of A.I. a...